Installing .NET (dotnet)1.1 on SBS 2011 is to be avoided if possible as upon installation because it aggressively changes the IIS & SBS .NET configuration.
Some of the effects of installing .NET 1.1 include:
- "Companyweb" not working
- "Connect" site not working
- Exchange Management Console not working
- WSUS service not working
A saving grace is that core server functionality is still intact.
If you absolutely must install it (e.g. Quickbooks DB Manager) there is a way around the problem:
After installing the .NET 1.1 package...
This is what I did to restore the server to normal :
- Open admin command prompt
- CD to c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework64\2.0.50727
- Run the following "aspnet_regiis /i"
- Run the same command in c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework64\v4.0.30319
- Run a repair on the .NET 4 install (from the Control Panel)
- Reboot the server
- Open the IIS Configuration console
(the ..\Framework\.. refers to the 32bit version of .NET 4 which is incompatible)
- Reboot the server.
You should now have a functional SBS 2011 server with .NET 1.1 installed
I cobbled this solution together from the following sources: